Kantimati Sameta Nellaiyappar Temple - Part 1

The claim to have visited Tamil Nadu without traveling to Tirunelveli is laughable. The declaration to have seen Tirunelveli without going to Kantimati Nellaiyappar temple is hilarious. And entering straight inside the temple by ignoring to notice the beautiful wooden carvings at the entrance is mirthful.

The charming city of Tirunelveli on the banks of the alluring Tamraparni River has hundreds of surprises. The gigantic temple of Kantimati Nellaiyappar is one such wonder. And this stunning temple, in turn, has hundreds of surprises. Even by spending the entire lifetime, one cannot fully explore this exceptional holy site. 



How do I define this temple? How many months do I need to write about it? Where will I start, and where will I end? Words fall short when trying to describe the magnificence of this temple. Just as Brahma and Vishnu could not locate the feet and head of Lingodbhava, I feel humbled by its splendor. 

Every piece of this temple has a fascinating piece of information. Every nook and corner of the temple has mesmerizing and intricate sculptures. Every corner of the temple has architectural beauty. There are so many legends, so much of history, so many told, untold, lesser-known, or never-revealed stories. 

Let me start this series on this unmatched and astonishing temple. Architecture, Sculptures, Inscriptions, Legends, Wooden Carvings - whatever I know, enjoy, internalize, and am emotionally attached to. I will try to express everything through my writing. 

How long will it take me to complete this series? I cannot say for sure, but I am certain that even if it takes me a long time, it will still feel incomplete.

Happy travelling!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Tallest Murugan of Chennai

Putlur Angala Parameswari Temple - Chennai

A 17th century Dargah with healing power - Mount Road Dargah, Chennai, India