February 6, 2010

An ancient Krishna temple - Sri Venugopala Krishnaswamy Temple, Chennai, India

Chennai, the capital city of Tamil Nadu state, is one of the most popular cities in South India. It is considered as the gateway to South India. Only few people know that this congested city of Chennai has a lot of old temples. This article is going to talk about one such temple located in the congested and busy Muthialpet area of Chennai city.


Sri Venugopala Krishnaswamy Temple is many hundred years old. It is located at Pavalakara Street (Coral Merchant Street) in Muthialpet area. This area is located very near to Broadway and Sowcarpet areas. This temple is definitely a rare ancient temple dedicated for Lord Krishna within the Chennai city limit.

The main deity of the temple is Lord Krishna holding flute, standing with legs crossed in his typical pose along with his consorts Rukmini and Bhama on his either sides. The temple also has shrines for Ram, Hanuman, Srinivasa Perumal, Rukmini, and Andal.

The temple is small. Its worth visiting the temple.

Happy travelling.

Site Name: Sri Venugopala Krishnaswamy Temple
Location: Muthialpet area, Chennai, South India
Site Category: Religious, Hindu, Vaishnavism, Temple
Highlight: One of the ancient temples dedicated for Lord Krishna in Chennai city



View Larger Map

Note: When I started this blog, I started with writing about Coorg. Then, I wrote about Mystic in the USA. After that, I started writing about Chennai. I feel it is getting a bit longer. There are more places that I will visit in Chennai and I know I will keep writing for ages. Hence, I am planning to jump to other cities from Chennai from my next post. Whenever I visit some places in and around Chennai, I will definitely update later.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks sir. I would visit the temple soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this brings back my childhood memories, i was near this temple when was doingmy schooling, its a v nice temple, and they are going to do samprokshanam soon to this temple

    ReplyDelete