January 6, 2018

Rajaji Statue and Salai - Madras

The First Line Beach along with the Second Line Beach that runs parallel, had the first set of banking institutions and merchant establishments that were established by the British. The First Line Beach Road, which was later called as North Beach Road, was constructed in 1814 CE on reclaimed land.

In the 1970s, the road was renamed as Rajaji Salai, commemorating C. Rajagopalachari, the first Governor General of India and the former Chief Minister of Madras Presidency.  A statue of Rajaji was unveiled on 24th December 1978 at the junction of Rajaji Salai and NSC Bose Road. It was unveiled by the then Vice President of India, B.D. Jatti, in the presence of M.G. Ramachandran, the then CM of Tamil Nadu state.

Rajaji Salai actually starts from the site where this statue is located.

Happy travelling.



No comments:

Post a Comment