Some of the important tourist attractions in Kanchipuram city are given below.
1) Kamakshi Amman Temple - Kamakshi Amman Temple is one of the three most important Goddess temples of India. This is the most important temple of Kanchipuram and remains as the center of attraction. The current temple structure was constructed in 14th century AD. Kamakshi Amman temple is one of 51 Shakthi Peeths.
2) Kumara Kottam Temple - Kumara Kottam Subramanya temple is the most important Subramanya (Muruga) temple in Kanchipuram city. The Tamil version of Skanda Puran (the story of Subramanya) was composed in this temple.
3) Ekambareswarar Temple - Ekambareswarar Temple is the most important Shiva temple that is located in Kanchipuram city. There is a 3000 year old Mango tree inside the temple.
4) Varadarajar Temple - Varadaraja Perumal temple is the most important Vishnu temples in Kanchipuram. This is one of 108 Divya Desams temple and the temple is very huge and architecturally beautiful.
5) Sankara Mutt - This is the monastery started by Adi Shankaracharya around 2500 years back and remains as one of the center of attractions in Kanchipuram city, inspite of several controversies.
6) Ulagalanda Perumal Temple - 35 feet idol is the highlight of this temple, which is one of 108 Divya Desam temples. The temple compound has other three Divya Desam shrines too.
7) Pandava Doota Perumal Temple - 25 feet long gigantic idol is the highlight of the temple.
8) Kailasanathar Temple - This temple is the most beautiful temple in Kanchipuram due to its sculpture and architecture.
9) Vaikundanatha Perumal Temple - This temple is also architecturally beautiful and has a lot of extraordinary sculptures similar to that of Kailasanathar temple.
10) Kachabeswarar Temple - This is one of the important Shiva temples in Kanchipuram.
11) Pachaivanna Perumal and Pavalavanna Perumal Temples - These two temples together are considered as a single Divya Desam.
Apart from the above listed temples, there are a lot of temples such as Chokkeeswarar Temple, Jurahareswarar Temple, Yadhothakaari Temple, Chitraguptar Temple, Ashtabuja Temple, and Mrutyunjeswarar Temple.
City Name: Kanchipuram
1) City of 1000 temples
2) One of the seven sacred cities of India
3) Famous for silk sarees
4) Has around 250 temples in and around
5) Very ancient city
6) One of the Pancha Bhootha Sthalams - earth adobe of Lord Shiva
7) The city has Kamakshi Amman temple - one of the three most famous temples of mother Goddess
Location: 75 kms from Chennai, Tamil Nadu state, India
Nearest Railway Station: Kanchipuram
Nearest Airport: Chennai (around 75 kms)
How to reach: Easily reachable by road and train
Hotel: A lot of luxury hotels and budget hotels are available
Restaurants: There are a lot of good restaurants in the city
View Larger Map